The La Calcina Guest house owes its name to the warehouse of the ‘limestone sellers’ that, in the distant seventeenth century, was located within its walls and caused the frequent passage of boats laden with stones and lime under the nearby bridge, now known as Ponte della Calcina (the lime mortar bridge).
With the passage of time, the old warehouse became lodgings, an inn and then a guest house, currently among the Historical Places of Italy, appreciated by at least a couple of centuries by travelers around the world and by writers such as the French André Suarés and John Ruskin, who made it ??his home in the spring of 1877.
Mentioned in the writing of Buisine and other artists of the twentieth century, the guest house and its cafe, overlooking the Giudecca Canal, have attracted poets and writers such as the Istrian Bortolo Giannelli, Giuseppe Berto and Francesco Maria Piave, famous librettist of the works of Giuseppe Verdi, to this part of Venice.
The cafe, with its beautiful terrace on the water, is currently named Caffè La Piscina, in memory of the Passoni Pool beach resort, which, until the 1960s was a place for playing water polo, swimming and a meeting place for many Venetians looking for recreation on the shores of the Zattere.